“All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players; they have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts…” —As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII, by William Shakespeare.
A ballet dancer flits across the stage, while backstage, each performer waits for her cue. At a theater, the actors run lines in their dressing rooms and prepare their costumes. A storyteller in Australia passes down the stories of his ancestors around the fire. On a film set, the directors and crew work together to capture the nuances of the actors’ emotions and create a story. There is not one of us who has not been touched by the performing arts; whether by being part of it, or enjoying the stories and experiences that they produce.
The Art of Performance is an event that celebrates both the visual arts, and the performing arts. We will have a curated art exhibition of paintings that relate to the performing arts, and also a special 35 minute performance by actors from the Actor’s Lab drawing from material that deals with themes of visual arts. To find out more about the Actor’s Lab, click here. In this unique exchange we honor and give vibrance to both art forms.
There will be light refreshments for guests, and the event is free and open to the public!
The Art of Performance art exhibition will be held at the Actor’s Lab at 110 West Lancaster Ave, #150, Wayne, PA 19087 on Saturday, May 4, 2019 from 6 to 9pm. The performance by Actor’s Lab students will begin at 8pm. For the curated art exhibition, all artwork that deals with the performing arts such as dance, theater, film, spoken word, miming, or more, will be considered. All work must be in 2 dimensional media, within the dimensions of 30″ in any direction and properly framed or presented. Entry fee for submitting up to 3 paintings is $20. Submission of work is not guarantee of showing.
Curator for this exhibition is gallery director, Jessica Libor. Jessica received her MFA from the Pennsylvania Academy of Arts in 2014 and has been painting, exhibiting and curating since then.
Deadline to submit your work digitally: March 16
Work chosen by juror Jessica Libor: March 16–29
Included artists sent an email regarding work: March 30–31
All physical work must be received by: April 20
EXHIBITION DATE: Saturday, May 4th. This is a one night exhibition, and artists may take any unsold work with them at 9pm the night of the exhibition. If you are unable to attend, you can pick up the work or have it shipped.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Download the entry form, and fill it out.
- Email a digital copy of the filled out entry form and a photograph of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email subject, state your name, and “Art of Performance Submission”. Please also include a copy of your CV and link to website.
- Pay the entry fee by using the form at the bottom of the page. Submit up to 3 pieces for the single entry fee. Artists retain 70% of the sale price of their work should it sell.
- IF YOUR WORK IS SELECTED (artists notified on March 30-31), Bubble wrap your pieces and and include the printed, filled-out entry form in your package.
- Include enough postage for the return trip of your artwork. POSTAGE MUST BE STAMPS, NOT PRE–PAID LABELS. Please do not use Fed Ex.
- Send pieces to: Era Contemporary, c/o Jessica Libor, 4832 Smick Street, Philadelphia, PA 19127.
- Accepted artists will be notified by March 31. Work must be physically received by April 20.
- Mark your calendar for the event and come celebrate! The exhibition will be held on Saturday, May 4, 2019.
Click the link below for the entry form/agreement:
Please pay entry form by Paypal to email@example.com, or by clicking here:
Questions? Email Jessica, Director at Era Contemporary, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your submissions! We look forward to an exciting show!!