There is a wild mystery to the woodlands. The interlacing canopy of trees, tall trunks like columns, untamed growth of the forest floor, and all the animals that find shelter there make it a magical place where anything can happen. In Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, he fills the woods with all manner of creatures, fairies, and enchantments, that the humans in the story become a part of. In Roald Dahl’s The Minpins, the forest represents an overwhelming world of majestic trees, where little people live in the trees and have tiny roads by connecting branches. In C. S. Lewis’ The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, there is a castle made of ice that lies in the heart of a frozen forest, where the White Witch keeps a spell over Narnia whereby it is always winter. Forests and glades have always served as inspiration for writers and artists to create a world of mystery and enchantment–the woodlands are challenging and untamed, a place where anything can happen.
Enchanted Woodlands exhibition to be held at the Mill Studios at 123 Leverington Avenue, Philadelphia, PA from 6 to 9pm on Friday, December 7th. All artists who have work that is based upon the idea of Enchanted Woodlands (open to interpretation) are welcome to submit. All work must be in 2 dimensional media, within the dimensions of 30″ in any direction and properly framed or presented. Entry fee for submitting up to 3 paintings is $20. Submission of work is not guarantee of showing.
Curator for this exhibition is gallery director, Jessica Libor. Jessica received her MFA from the Pennsylvania Academy of Arts in 2014 and has been painting, exhibiting and curating since then.
Deadline to submit your work digitally: October 20
Work chosen by juror Jessica Libor: October 20–30
Included artists sent an email regarding work: October 31—November 10
All physical work must be received by: December 1
EXHIBITION DATE: EARLY DECEMBER, to be announced soon.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Download the entry form, and fill it out.
- Email a digital copy of the filled out entry form and a photograph of your work to email@example.com. In the email subject, state your name, and “Enchanted Woodlands Submission”. Please also include a copy of your CV and link to website. This is a blind jury (we won’t look at your CV or name while judging work) but if you work is selected to be included, we want to know more about you to talk to potential collectors at the show!
- Pay the entry fee by using the form at the bottom of the page. Submit up to 3 pieces for the single entry fee. Artists retain 70% of the sale price of their work should it sell.
- IF YOUR WORK IS SELECTED (artists notified on June 8), Bubble wrap your pieces and and include the printed, filled-out entry form in your package.
- Include enough postage for the return trip of your artwork. POSTAGE MUST BE STAMPS, NOT PRE–PAID LABELS.
- Send pieces to: Era Contemporary, c/o Jessica Libor, 4832 Smick Street, Philadelphia, PA 19127.
- Accepted artists will be notified by November 10. Work must be physically received by December 1.
- Mark your calendar for the event and come celebrate! The exhibition will be held in early December, exact date TBA.
Click the link below for the entry form/agreement:
Please pay entry form by Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by clicking here:
Questions? Email Jessica, Director at Era Contemporary, at email@example.com.
Thank you for your submissions! We look forward to an exciting show in Philadelphia!!
Image above painted by Edward Potthast and is part of the public domain.