The New Pre-Raphaelites is a group exhibition held virtually in affiliation with Harcum College and curated by Era Contemporary. We are currently accepting submissions to be considered for the show.
The New Pre-Raphaelites exhibition is being curated in affiliation with Harcum College art and design department, and is curated by working adjunct professor at Harcum College, curator, and artist Jessica Libor.
The Pre-Raphaelites were are group of artists, muses and writers living and working in England in the mid 1800s in reaction to what they saw as the unimaginative and artificial history painting of the Royal Academy. They sought to express a new emotionality, naturalness and sincerity in their works, as well as an unabashed admiration of beauty in all its forms. The name Pre-Raphaelite came from their love of direct and uncomplicated depiction of nature, before the time of Raphael. Their artwork was characterized by paintings of literary, medieval, religious, and poetry based subject matter, often with the figures in landscapes. The paintings were sharp with brilliantly lit lighting, and an astounding reproduction of tiny details. Symbolism was used along with hidden meanings, as well as the use of gold leaf adorned many works. Most significantly, there was a strong sense of the emotional spirit of the subject matter.
In this epic group exhibition, we are looking for artwork that reflects all these qualities, but done by contemporary artists of today. We would like this virtual exhibition to be a significant collection of some of the most beautiful works done my artists today who are inspired by the Pre-Raphaelites.
This will be a completely virtual exhibition. We will use 3D virtual exhibition gallery technology like this to bring together an interactive gallery viewing experience for collectors. The Exhibition will launch on Friday, September 25th and will be up for approximately 3 months. We will host a virtual exhibition party and artist talk for the show on Zoom the same day and will have participating artists each speak about their artworks during the call. The artwork will also be listed on our website for sale. Artists will each get a number of free exhibition tickets to distribute to collectors.
Submission deadline: Friday, August 21, 2020
Virtual exhibition live event: Friday, September 25th
Show closes: January 10, 2021.
Artists who submit their work earlier will be given more consideration. To submit work, please follow the guidelines below.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Email us the title, dimensions, medium, price, and and several photographs of your work (make sure one includes the framed view) to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email subject, state your name, and “The New Pre-Raphaelites Submission”. Please also include a link to your website.
- Pay the entry fee by using the form at the bottom of the page. Submit up to 3 pieces for the single entry fee.
- If your work is selected, you do not need to ship your artwork to us, but are responsible for cost and handling of shipping your artwork to a collector, should it sell. Artists retain 60% of the sale price of their work should it sell, so please price accordingly.
- Accepted artists pay a reduced fee of 30% to the gallery of the sale of their work should it sell within 3 months from the date the show goes down, if the artist sells the artwork to a collector who saw the work/became interested as a result of the show.
- Accepted artists will be notified in early September or sooner of the status of their submission.
Questions? Email Jessica, Director at Era Contemporary, at email@example.com.
Thank you for your submissions! We look forward to an exciting show!!
Show image is by Dante Gabriel Rosetti, A Vision of Fiametta, 1878, and is part of the public domain.